Car Hire Vancouver
Vancouver car rental deals
Compact cars - from only £55 per day
Intermediate cars - from only £58 per day
Full-size cars - from only £60 per day
Premium cars - from only £79 per day
Mid-size SUV - from only £79 per day
Standard SUV - from only £90 per day
Minivan - from only £90 per day
Why hire a car in Vancouver?
If you’re planning a holiday to Vancouver, finding a hire car for your trip from a trusted car rental company ensures you’ll get to see the best of what the city has to offer! We only work with the most reputable car hire companies, like Avis, so you know you’re booking a high-quality rental car.
There’s so much to do in Vancouver, and it is one of Canada's most beautiful cities. The cultural hub of British Columbia offers a thriving art scene, colourful communities and an unforgettable backdrop - which includes the overlooking North Shore Mountains - that is sure to make your holiday to Canada one that you’ll never forget.
The freedom and flexibility that accompanies hiring a car in Vancouver are unrivalled. Not only does hiring a car provide you with the option to explore the city of Vancouver at your own pace, but it also presents you with the opportunity to venture further afield.
Top tips for driving in Vancouver
- Avoid rush hour - just like driving in any major city, we recommend avoiding Vancouver city centre at rush hour (between 5pm and 7pm). Traffic can get very congested and frustrating, especially if you hire a car to see more than just Vancouver’s roads!
- Flashing green means ‘go’ – if you see a flashing green light at an intersection, you have the right to go, but make sure to approach cautiously and look out for any pedestrians. If a pedestrian is crossing, you must stop and wait for them as they have the right of way.
- Look out for cyclists – cycling is very popular in Vancouver, so be extra vigilant and cautious of your two-wheeled road companions!
- U-turns are illegal – on most intersections in Vancouver, it is illegal to make a U-turn. If you find you are travelling in the wrong direction, come off the intersection and find a safe place to turn. Much of Vancouver’s roads are policed with CCTV, so you will likely get caught!
- Check your hire car has snow tyres – if you are travelling on the BC-99 route to Whistler during winter you legally need to have snow tyres. Make sure to mention this when booking your Vancouver car hire.
Picking up your hire car in Vancouver
How long you wish to stay in the downtown area and where else you want to travel on your Western Canada road trip will determine the best pick-up location for your car hire in Vancouver. Popular car hire locations in Vancouver for our partner, Avis, are:
- Vancouver Hornby Street: 757 Hornby Street, Vancouver, V6Z 1S2
- Vancouver International Airport: 3880 Grant Mcconachie Way, Vancouver International Apo, Richmond, V7B 1V1
- Vancouver West Broadway: 451 W 8th Avenue, The Rise, Vancouver, V5Y 3Z5
Since many people choose to fly into Vancouver, renting a car at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is a popular option. The Avis office in YVR is roughly a 30-minute drive from Downtown Vancouver (drive north along BC-00 for around 20 minutes before turning onto Seymour Street). The Hornby location is the closest to Downtown, followed by Broadway.
Top tips for hiring a car in Vancouver
- Book in advance – unlike flights to Canada, you don’t necessarily need to book your Vancouver car hire well in advance. But if you have a particular vehicle class you would like to hire, we recommend booking your rental around one month or more before your holiday to get the best Vancouver car hire deals and prices.
- Go compact – if you have two or fewer passengers and don’t have much luggage, we recommend hiring a compact car. Prices for hiring compact cars in Vancouver are cheaper.
- Plan your route – your hire car might offer a sat nav package, but apps like Waze and Google Maps will help you to plan your route.
- Go in low season – to get the best prices on Vancouver car hire, you could visit during a slower tourist season, such as November.
Driving in Downtown Vancouver
There are several things to bear in mind when driving in Vancouver. For example, it’s illegal to do a U-turn at intersections, and you’ll be fined if you complete one. Many streets in Downtown Vancouver also do not allow left turns, so take advantage of your GPS or plan your route carefully before travelling.
Driving from Vancouver and beyond
While Vancouver is phenomenal, and it is British Columbia’s largest city by population, BC has so much available to discover in addition, so make sure to rent a car to make the most of the province. Canada’s westernmost province has a number of incredible drives offering you breath-taking vistas of the Rockies, sweeping views over the Pacific Ocean and luscious alpine-lined roads with wildflower blankets.
The great outdoors is truly one of British Columbia’s greatest attributes, and organising a car hire from Vancouver will help you experience as much of it as you like during your Canada holiday. Check out our top tips for driving in Canada before you take to the roads in your rental car. Similarly, our guide to British Columbia can offer you more insight into the region.
Day trips from Vancouver
Vancouver is an ideal base to explore much of British Columbia and Alberta, and our fly drive/self-drive holidays make the whole experience a breeze. With our Whales, Bears and Vancouver Island holiday, collect your hire car from Vancouver and catch the ferry over to Victoria on Vancouver Island to start your journey. Vancouver is also a great starting point for a Rockies road trip—included in the itinerary for our Great Parks of the West holiday.
For more tips on planning a self-drive holiday in Canada, make sure you check out this great blog post.
Vancouver car hire information
- Pick-up locations – multiple Vancouver locations, including Vancouver International Airport.
- Car types available – Compact, Intermediate, Full-size, Premium, Mid-size SUV, Standard SUV, Minivan.
- Popular car hire company – Avis.
- Best time to book – one month before.
Car rental Vancouver – book today
Booking a car rental in Vancouver is a wonderful way to experience all that this amazing west coast city has to offer and the beautiful scenery of its surrounding areas. Whether you are after convenience or the freedom to explore more of Canada’s epic attractions on a leisurely road trip, a car hire in Vancouver will make it happen.
So, what are you waiting for? Discover Canada in comfort by getting in touch with us today for the latest Vancouver car rental deals.
Are you open to exploring other incredible locations in Canada? You might be interested in learning more about our car hire Canada holidays.
If you want to book a car hire in Vancouver, please request a quote, or call us on 0207 616 9999.
Can I take my hire car outside of British Columbia if I’m picking it up from Vancouver?
Yes, you can take your car anywhere in Canada and even across the border into the USA. We also offer one-way drop-offs to other Canadian cities (some may incur an additional charge, so please enquire for details.
What is the speed limit in Vancouver?
50 km/hour (31 mph) in urban areas and 80 km/hour (50 mph) in rural areas unless otherwise stated.
What are the best places to park in Vancouver?
You’ll find many public parking lots (car parks) in Downtown Vancouver (including one at Vancouver Public Library). It’s also worth noting that there is free parking for visitors at Granville Island.
How much should I expect to pay for fuel in Vancouver?
Around C$1.51 per litre, although this will vary.
How old do you have to be to drive in Vancouver?
To drive in Vancouver and the wider British Columbia area, you must be a driver aged 16 years and over. However, you do need to be aged 21 to hire a car in Canada.
Do I need to hire a car in Vancouver?
Vancouver can be explored easily on foot or by public transport, but a car hire allows you the freedom to travel further afield and discover more of what Canada has to offer.