Ontario is such a captivating and diverse province, with its bustling cities and stunning countryside and lakes that will leave a lasting impression on you.
The best way to visit Ontario is on a fly-drive holiday, escorted coach tour or multi-stay city break holiday so that you can enjoy more than one area and really feel the diversity between each stop. Beaches, mountain views, vibrant cities, inspiring architecture, lush forests, sparkling fresh water lakes, and natural wonders, you name it, a holiday to Ontario has it.
Hire a car and tour the countryside, stopping at Blue Mountain, Algonquin Provincial Park or visit scenic Huntsville. The comparisons between the picturesque countryside and the lively cities are diverse, and you can enjoy the best of relaxation and excitement in one trip.
For some real adventure, take in some of Ontario’s epic activities including canoe experiences, hiking, camping and more.
Ontario is home to Canada’s most exciting city, Toronto, with endless sightseeing opportunities, attractions, museums and shopping on your doorstep. A must is a trip up the impressive CN Tower where you can dare to walk on the glass floor revealing the city below. Thrill seekers can take it one step further with an adrenaline-filled Edgewalk Experience over the side of the Tower – not for the faint hearted!
Ontario is also home to the awe-inspiring natural wonder, Niagara Falls. Just an hour and 45-minutes from Toronto you can see one of the world’s natural wonders in all its glory and it makes the perfect day trip no matter what time of the year you visit. See the enormous force of the water in summer or enjoy the frozen effect in winter, lit up by colourful lights in the evening.
Average monthly temperatures
Things to do
Visitors seeking exceptional culture, dining and shopping experiences on holiday can head to Toronto – the ‘entertainment capital of Canada’ whilst the charming streets of Canada’s capital city, Ottawa, are lined with many historical landmarks. As the country’s largest province, Ontario boasts a varied landscape with secluded beaches, six National Parks and one of the largest waterfalls in the world - Niagara Falls. Choose from one of the region’s many iconic trails and enjoy year-round activities including hiking, paddling and dog-sledding as you take in the breathtaking panorama of the surrounding scenery.
Popular things to do in Ontario
Scenic Toronto Harbour Tour
from £24 pp
Enjoy an audio tour of Toronto’s scenic harbour with lively and informative narratives, complemented by historical waterfront visuals on a big screen television. Highlights include the spectacular Toronto skyline, views of the CN Tower, Toronto Island parkland and waterways, Queens Quay Terminal, Harbourfront Centre, Rogers Centre and more. Journey by vessel with indoor/outdoor seating available.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departures: May - Sep
CN Tower Admission
Located in the heart of Toronto’s Entertainment District, visit one of Canada's major icons. Standing 553.33 metres tall enjoy sweeping panoramic views of the city and Lake Ontario. Your adventure begins in the glass faced elevators, with glass floor panels that will whisk you to the LookOut Observatioin level in a mere 58 seconds. Dare to walk the Glass? or sample exquisite cuisine at the revolving restaurant 360 Restaurant. The views are unforgettable.
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25)
Deluxe Niagara Winery Tour D (9 Hours)
Foodies and wine fans—this is the tour for you! This deluxe guided wine tour includes a delicious lunch at the Elegant Bacchus Lounge at Queen's Landing in Niagara-on-the-Lake with a panoramic view of the Niagara harbour and the famous Niagara River. Start off at Chateau des Charmes Winery for a full guided tour with wine tastings. The second winery is a founding Niagara Winery, Inniskillin. Visitors will enjoy tastings of both red and white wines and the featured ice wine. The fun doesnt stop here, journey via the historic Niagara parkway to the charming town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Enjoy time to shop and browse this pretty town before returning to Toronto.
Duration: 9 Hours
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25, 26, Jan 1, Mar 30)
Hop-on-Hop-off City Tour of Toronto - 2 day pass
Build your own Toronto experience with the freedom onboard the hop-on-hop-off city tour. Let the friendly and knowledgeable tour guides educate you on the fun facts and history of Toronto as they take you through the city with stops near all major hotels in the downtown area. The ticket also includes a free boat tour of the Toronto Harbour and Islands (available seasonally) . Let the tour company with over 100 years of experience introduce you the history and excitement that is Toronto!
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25 & Jan 1)
Valid for 2 Days
Segway Spin Tour
A guided tour with a difference! After a few minutes training, you will easily glide through the district on your Segway for a tour with friendly and knowledgeable guides. Toronto was once home to the largest distillery in the British Empire and has the largest collection of industrial Victorian buildings in Canada. This district now has unique shops, galleries, cafes and restaurants.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departures: Daily (Tuesday - Sunday)
Sightseeing Tour of Niagara Falls from Toronto
Depart Toronto on this full day tour to Niagara Falls and experience one of Canada's most spectacular sights. Ample time will be spent at the Falls giving you excellent photo opportunities including taking the Voyage to the Falls boat cruise (included). Lunch is also included at the Fallsview Restaurant , whilst dining you can enjoy the panoramic views of the Falls from the restaurant. On your return to Toronto pass through Niagara on the Lake, voted Canada’s prettiest town.
Duartion: 10 Hours
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25,26 & Jan 1)
*Please note the Voyage to the Falls boat cruise will be replaced with the Journey Behind the Falls in the Winter months
Niagara Falls Helicopter Flight
Fly high above Niagara for unmatched, breath-taking views of Niagara Falls and the surrounding region. You’ll be able to take in the massive scale of the waterfalls and magnificent scenery as you glide over the water in a sightseeing helicopter, looking down at the Whirlpool Rapids and Skylon Tower. a perspective you can't get from ground level.
Duration: 9 minutes flight
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25) *Weather permitting
Deluxe Niagara Winery Tour D (6 Hours)
Enjoy a full day through the lush Niagara Peninsula on a delightful wine tour. You will visit two renowned Niagara wineries and enjoy wine tasting as well as a tour of each winery. The tour includes lunch at a charming eatery on the beautiful Niagara parkway and allows free time to explore historic Niagara-on-the-Lake and the captivating 19th-century town.
Duration: 6 Hours
Departures: Daily (Except May 23, Jul 1, Sep 5, Oct 10, Dec 25, 26, Jan 1, Mar 30, Apr 14)
Journey Behind The Falls
Go far below the rim of the gorge and behind the Falls as you experience the awesome sights and thundering sounds of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. Journey deep within to touch the heart of Niagara. Before you, the mighty river explodes after free falling more than thirteen stories. A once-in-a-lifetime experience on your Niagara Falls holiday!
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25)
Niagara Falls Adventure Pass
This pass offers you admission to the most popular attractions in Niagara Falls during your trip to Canada. Attractions included in the pass are: Horn Blower Niagara Cruise, Voyage to the Falls, White Water Walk, Journey Behind the Falls and Niagara's Fury. Also included are discount coupons to more attractions in Niagara Parks.
Departures: Daily between Apr 01 to Oct 31.
Voyage to the Falls – VIP Boat Cruise
This thrilling experience takes you on a journey to get up close to the Horseshoe Falls, as well as the Great Gorge, America Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. This legendary cruise gives you 360 degree unobstructed views of the Falls from the tiered decks, with a choice of sitting inside from the dry viewing area, or up on deck where you are sure to get wet!
Duration: 15 minutes cruise
Departures: Daily between Apr 01 - Nov 30.
Admission To Canadian Museum of History and War Museum
At Canada’s most visited museum, visitors discover the events, experiences, people and objects that have shaped the nation’s history. Marvel at the world’s largest indoor collection of totem poles and explore the traditions and achievements of Canada’s First Peoples. Tour the many special and permanent exhibitions, be a kid again at the Children’s Museum and live the ultimate cinema experience at the IMAX® Theatre. The Canadian War Museum is more than a museum that is internationally renowned for its symbolic architecture; it is synonym for inspiring and touching stories.
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25)
Historical Highlights Walking Tour
This guided walk showcases a great overview of the city and its colourful history. Included are stops at Parliament Hill, The National War Memorial, Sparks Street, Major’s Hill Park, The Fairmont Chateau Laurier, The Bank of Canada, The Rideau Canal, The Prime Minister’s offices and ByWard Market.
Duration: 2 hours
Starting downtown, this guided leisurely ride will travel on the Rideau Canal pathway, continuing to the Locks, the Fletcher Wild Life Garden and Arboreum, ending with a short visit in the Parliament area.
Duration: 2 hours
Departures: Daily between May 1 to Oct 31
Ottawa River Cruise
Float down the picturesque Rideau Canal and enjoy the majestic views of the Parliament Hill, Rideau Falls and many more sights along with interesting narrated commentary on the history of the cancel and the city.
Duration: 1.5 hour
Departures: May 15 to Oct 15
Browse our amazing range of holidays in Ontario
Popular Ontario holiday ideas
Crowne Plaza Fallsview
Just steps from the Falls, the Crowne Plaza is in a great location and has some excellent amenities.
Rooms and suites are classically furnished,...see more
Sheraton Fallsview Hotel
The Sheraton on the Falls is the largest of all of the hotels around Niagara and the views are simply breathtaking.
The guest rooms are luxurious...see more
Lord Elgin Hotel
The Lord Elgin is a grand and historic building within walking distance of all the city’s major attractions.
Rooms and suites are elegantly...see more
Westin Trillium House
A stunning and luxurious lodge-style resort, The Westin Trillium is located in the heart of Blue Mountain Village.
The hotel has a good range...see more
Eastern Journey Holiday
On this Eastern adventure you’ll discover Canada’s unbeatable mix of Old-World charm and vibrant urban pleasures. Venture through the legendary splendour...see more
Great Lakes Treasure Holiday
A captivating journey filled with dramatic northern scenery & fascinating Native culture, are combined in an adventurous journey revealing the unique character...see more
Canadian Contrasts Air Inclusive
Discover a spirit of adventure as you uncover Canada's most breath-taking treasures and journey through snow-capped mountains, rolling ranch-land and amazing...see more
Ontario Taster Holiday
Ontario is a beautiful province and this road trip offers the chance to uncover its unique charms. Take in the cosmopolitan city of Toronto, historic Kingston...see more
Heritage Trail Holiday
Set off on our most popular Eastern Canada adventure through Ontario and Québec’s famed cities & enchanting sights. This perfectly designed circular tour...see more
Great Parks of the East Holiday
Experience it all as cool city sights are combined with breath-taking scenery & fascinating culture. This circular tour showcases the true beauty of Ontario’s...see more
Ottawa City Break
Canada’s beautiful capital is full of history. A walk along the river will take you to stunning views of Parliament and many famous national landmarks...see more
Trans Canada By Rail Holiday
Board VIA Rail’s famous ‘Canadian’ train going west through the lakes of Manitoba and the fields of Saskatchewan. Once in Alberta, you’ll...see more
Top tips for visiting Ontario
Top Tip 1
• Located on the northern shore of Lake Ontario lays the dynamic city of Toronto. With more than 7000 restaurants, cafes and bars, the city is renowned across the world for its multi-cultural cuisine. Whether you want to spend some time on your holiday shopping in foodie heaven at the St Lawrence Market or climb to the top of the CN Tower, the tallest freestanding structure in the Western Hemisphere, Toronto is an ideal city break.
Top Tip 2
• Toronto's neighbour is Mississauga with more than 520 beautiful parks waiting to be explored. Don’t forget to leave enough time to browse the shops, with everything from high end fashion at Square One Shopping Centre to picturesque streets lined with quaint boutiques.
Top Tip 3
• Canada’s capital Ottawa is a beautiful city which is full of history and bursting with a rich culture. Start downtown at the stunning National Gallery of Canada, one of Canada's premier art galleries before heading to the Rideau Canal where you can boat through the city in the summer and ice-skate on the frozen water during the winter.
Top Tip 4
• One of Canada’s most iconic landmarks, Niagara Falls welcomes millions of visitors on holiday every year. Travel on the new Hornblower boat and get as close as possible to the breathtaking flow of water or alternatively, stand at the top of the Prospect Point Park Observation Tower to enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the Falls. We recommend finishing the day’s adventures at the Skylon Tower where visitors can dine 775 feet above this natural wonder.
Top Tip 5
• Only a few minutes from Niagara Falls in Ontario’s wine region is Niagara-on-the-Lake – a beautifully preserved 19th century village. Stroll through the picturesque streets lined with charming boutiques, outdoor cafes, and exquisite fine dining. A visit would not be complete without relaxing in one of the many wineries and sampling rare vintages. For those who prefer a more personalised experience, Rancourt Winery is a family run cottage where all the wines are made from grapes grown on the property.
Top Tip 6
• Wildlife enthusiasts will be captivated by Algonquin Provincial Park. With 7,800 square miles of lakes and forests, this beautiful destination is home to bears, brook trout, moose, and wolves to name but a few. Visitors seeking adventure on their holiday can camp under the stars whilst those who prefer more luxurious surroundings can stay at Arowhon Pines, a resort located within the boundaries of the Park.
Top Tip 7
• The St Lawrence River is an idyllic environment dotted with more than a thousand tree-filled islands. Kayak to the islands on your own or explore the surroundings as part of a guided tour from Kingston — a beautiful limestone city in eastern Ontario. Whether you are travelling by land or water, remember that the area straddles the border with the United States, so always carry your passport.
Top Tip 8
• London in Ontario has been inspired by its British namesake. Whilst the city is home to its own River Thames, there is still a distinct Canadian feel to this destination. Enjoy culturally-rich performances at the Grand Theatre and the open-air museum, Fanshawe Pioneer Village, tells the story of rural communities from 1820 to 1920.
If you’d like more information about booking your holiday to Ontario call one of our dedicated team of experts who will help you plan the trip of a lifetime!