Call us today on 0203 424 6305

Rail & Cruise Holidays

Two epic experiences in one holiday

A Rocky Mountaineer rail journey and a Holland America Line cruise to Alaska could each be once-in-a-lifetime holidays, but combine them together and you get something unbelievably special. Canada's East Coast is just as spectacular, cruising Atlantic Canada's varied coastlines and visiting top cities with VIA Rail.

Amanda McDermott, Canadian Affair Travel Expert

Canada Travel Expert


See Canada & Alaska

show more show less


Sights & activities

show more show less


Our partners

show more show less


Our partners

show more show less

Top Tips

Know before you go

show more show less

Call us to book

Call our Canada Travel Experts to book your Rocky Mountaineer holiday. Choose from dozens of packages or tailor-make your perfect trip from scratch.
Call today on 0207 616 9184

See the journey for yourself

What to pack for your Rocky Mountaineer & Alaska cruise holiday

Packing for two very different holidays in one trip can be a challenge. We’re here to help.


A major concern for any travellers to Alaska is the weather. Surely a cruise filled with icebergs and glaciers will be cold? Well actually, if you’re travelling in summer, it’ll be about the same as a UK spring. Pack layers for those warmer days and a jacket, hat and gloves for colder days on the deck or in the mountains.


Sturdy shoes, comfortable trousers, warm layers, gloves and hat, and a camera will do for both the train and the cruise.

On the train

Most guests wear casual dress, so wear clothes you are comfortable sitting in and sturdy, flat shoes to cope with the motion of the train.

On the cruise

A comfortable top with a warm fleece or jumper and windproof layer on top will cover all bases. Don’t forget your binoculars to spot wildlife!

Dining in style

Rocky Mountaineer has no dress code. The cruise will have one or two formal evenings, but it’s up to you whether to dress up or go smart-casual.


Don’t forget that you’ll be visiting two countries in one holiday if you visit Canada and Alaska. As well as your passport, Canada requires an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) to enter the country. The USA has different requirements, needing an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA). Both must be obtained in advance online.

Stay in touch & get regular updates

Sign up to our newsletter...

Invalid email