Car Hire Toronto
Freedom to explore
Toronto is the gateway to Niagara Falls, but there’s so much more to explore within easy driving distance. From quirky attractions to stunning lakes and national parks, our cheap Toronto car rental gives you the freedom to explore at your own pace.
Call us on 0207 616 9999 or book online
Why hire a car in Toronto?
Suppose you’re planning a Toronto holiday that you know will involve a portion of driving. In that case, it’s important that you hire a car from a trusted rental company to explore and enjoy all that Toronto has to offer! At Canadian Affair, we only work with the most reputable Canada car hire companies, so you know you’re always getting the highest quality of service.
There is plenty to do in Toronto. This vibrant, modern city is in Ontario, eastern Canada, and the city overlooks the stunning lake that is the province’s namesake, Lake Ontario. More than a quarter of the entire population of Canada resides in this bustling city, so if you are looking for a taste of what Canadian city life is all about, then you have certainly booked a break in the right place!
Hiring a car in Toronto affords you unparalleled freedom and flexibility to explore Toronto’s city centre and further afield. After touching down in Toronto, you’ll soon see that the city is most famous for two things: food and shopping. St Lawrence Market is a must-visit for foodies. From traditional Canadian ‘greasy spoons’ to artisan delicacies, you’ll want to refuel after a morning spent indulging in some world-class retail therapy.
Top tips for driving in Toronto
- Watch out for public transport - when driving in Toronto, be vigilant for public buses and streetcars (trams) as they have the right of way in most of the city. When driving in Toronto, you must observe the right of way, as it is against the law to pass a stopped tram; you must also give the right of way to passengers alighting a tram or bus.
- Avoid rush hour – like any major city, we recommend you avoid driving your hire car around Toronto during the morning or afternoon rush hours. Planning your journey will help you avoid any frustrating time spent sitting in traffic!
- Think before you turn left! At many intersections in Toronto, it’s illegal to make a left turn during rush hour. If you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in traffic during the downtown rush, make sure you follow a GPS to use the intersections safely and legally.
- Watch out for one-way streets – downtown Toronto has a lot of one-way streets; some of the streets can be quite small, so bear this in mind if you have hired an SUV or larger vehicle as part of a Canada fly-drive holiday, as you may struggle to park in the city more than if you are hiring a compact car.
- Drive on the right! - this may seem obvious but don’t forget that, unlike the UK, Canadians drive on the right-hand side of the road.
Picking up your hire car in Toronto
The duration of your stay in the Toronto area and the locations you want to travel to on your Eastern Canada road trip will determine the best pick-up location for your car hire in Toronto. From airport car hire to spots in the city centre, you can choose to collect your vehicle from several Toronto locations. Popular pick-up locations in Toronto for our car hire partner, Avis, are:
- Toronto Pearson International Airport: 5990 Airport Rd, Mississauga, ON, L5P 1B2, Canada
- Brookfield Place (Bay & Front): 161 Bay St, Unit 140 BCE (Concourse Level), Toronto, ON, M5J 2S1, Canada
- Hudson Bay Centre – Food Court Level: 80 Bloor Street East, (Yonge & Bloor), Toronto, ON, M4W 3G8, Canada
In most cases, those who opt for our Toronto car hire are flying into Toronto, and are likely to rent a car from the airport. The Avis office at Toronto Pearson International Airport YYZ is directed from the arrivals level, it is about 1.5 miles away.
Top tips for hiring a car in Toronto
- Book in advance – book at least a month in advance to get the best prices on Toronto car hire, especially if there is a specific type of car you want to rent for your trip.
- Plan your route – to avoid getting stuck in rush hour, and to ensure you don’t accidentally make any illegal manoeuvres, planning your journey using a GPS or apps like Waze and Google Maps is highly recommended.
- Go compact or midsize – if you have two or fewer passengers and don’t have much luggage, we recommend hiring a compact or midsize car. Prices for hiring compact cars in Toronto are cheaper. You will also find it easier to park in the city centre than you would if you hire an SUV.
- Go in the quieter season – car hire in Toronto is cheaper in November and March, these times of year are less busy with tourists, and you will get cheaper flights in these months too!
Driving in Downtown Toronto
Like any major city, you will need to be vigilant when driving in Downtown Toronto, as even outside of rush hour, it’s likely to be busy. But don’t let that put you off; as long as you obey the rules of the road you have nothing to worry about.
The main things to be aware of are giving way to public transport like buses and trams and making sure you follow instructions from a GPS about what you legally can and can’t do on Toronto’s roads. If you’re planning on stopping in Downtown Toronto for a while, we recommend bringing cash to pay for parking as some spaces are cash-only, but if you don’t have any cash, don’t worry, as lots of meters allow you to pay with a credit card.
Driving from Toronto and beyond
There’s so much to see in Ontario outside of Toronto, and hiring a car is the perfect way to see more of the province. Canada’s Mideastern province has a fantastic selection of road trip opportunities offering you incredible sights from the showstoppers of Toronto’s CN Tower and Ottawa’s Parliament Hill to wide expanses of Ontario’s stunning national parks.
Check out our top tips for driving in Canada before you take to the roads in your rental car. Similarly, our Ultimate Ontario Bucket List shares our favourite must-see attractions in the province.
Day trips from Toronto
The stunning Niagara Falls is an easy 80-mile drive from Toronto, and if you're hiring a car in the city, you’ll regret not making time to visit the eighth wonder of the world! A lesser-known gem that is a similar distance from Toronto is Kingston. This beautiful city sits at the mouth of the St Lawrence River and is the gateway to Canada’s 1,000 Islands region.
Toronto car hire information
- Pick-up locations – multiple Toronto locations, including Toronto Pearson International Airport.
- Car types available – Compact, Intermediate, Full-size, Premium, Mid-size SUV, Standard SUV, Minivan.
- Popular car hire company – Avis.
- Best time to book – one month before.
Car rental Toronto – book today
Looking for an incredible way to experience Toronto and the wider area? Booking a car rental is the perfect solution, whether you are after the convenience of getting around town or the freedom to explore more of Canada’s epic attractions on a leisurely road trip.
With our latest Toronto car rental deals, you can discover Canada in comfort and style. And if you are interested in exploring other amazing locations throughout the country, be sure to ask us about our Canada holidays.
Don’t wait – contact us today to start planning your next adventure!
If you want to book a car hire in Toronto, please request a quote, or call us on 0207 616 9999.
Can I take my car hire outside of Ontario if I’m picking it up from Toronto?
Yes, you can take your car anywhere in Canada and even across the border into the USA. However, if you are planning to visit the USA, you will need an eSTA and an eTA. We also offer one-way drop-offs to other Canadian cities, but these may incur an additional charge, so please enquire for details.
What is the speed limit in Toronto?
The speed limit in Toronto is the same as in the province of Ontario as a whole. In residential and school areas, the speed limit is around 30-40 km/h; on urban roads, the speed limit is 50 km/h and on highways and expressways, the limit is 100 km/h.
What are the best places to park in Toronto?
It can be difficult in Toronto to find on-street parking, so make sure to allow extra time to park. This will increase your chances of a short walk to where you want to visit. Look out for circular green signs with a ‘P’ in the middle, as these indicate municipal car parks.
How much should I expect to pay for fuel in Toronto?
Around C$1.45 per litre, although this will vary.
How much is a car rental in Toronto?
Car hire in Toronto can cost anywhere between £55 and £90 per day, depending on the type of vehicle you choose.
What car hire companies are based inside Toronto airport?
There are a number of car hire companies based at Toronto Pearson International Airport, with Avis being one of the most popular.