Edmonton is the capital of Alberta and widely regarded as one of Canada’s key urban centres. The city boasts a family friendly and fun atmosphere, with all ages being able to enjoy the city’s wide open spaces, festivals, museums and amazing shops.
Edmonton is located near the idyllic North Saskatchewan River and is home to more than 22 parks and thousands of kilometres of trails. The city’s proximity to the Canadian Rockies also means you can enjoy the best of the Canadian West all in one holiday.
West Edmonton Mall must be on your to do list if you are visiting the city. The mall is the largest of its kind in North America with over 800 shops, a theme park, water park, ice rink, underground aquarium and a golf course – you could end up spending your whole holiday there!
If you want a break from the city’s modern, commercial centres, visit the historic Fort Edmonton Park. Go back in time more than 150 years and experience the evolution of the city’s early history and come face to face with the pioneers of the Great Canadian West!
One of the things this unique destination is most famous for is the annual Edmonton Fringe Festival, which takes place each August and is the largest of its kind in North America. The city comes to life during the festival, with international and local performers lining the streets and filling the city’s theatres. We recommend taking a stroll around the city’s Old Strathcona district and seeing the street performers.
After a day spent exploring the city and its surroundings it’s time to relax and satisfy your hunger. Edmonton has a large selection of restaurants known for creating innovative and exciting dishes. One of our top recommendations is RGE RD; this modern diner has a diverse menu and is considered to be one of the best restaurants in the city.
If you’d like more information about booking your Edmonton holiday then call one of our dedicated team who will help you plan the trip of a lifetime!
Things to do
Popular things to do in Edmonton
River Valley Walking Tour
Discover the beautiful Edmonton River Valley and the blooming buds of spring, the lush greens of summer or the colourful fall foliage. This guided walking tour takes you along the river’s edge to Louise McKinney Park with spectacular views of the valley. All tours are led by a Park Expert who reveals facts and trivia about the park and the city of Edmonton.
Duration: 1 hour
Experience Edmonton in a whole new way! Glide through North America's largest urban parkland on this one-of-a-kind tour of the Edmonton River Valley. After a short Segway training clinic you will ride at varying speeds along a route designed to provide you with maximum exposure to the beauty of this natural parkland.
Duration: 1 hour
Browse our amazing range of holidays in Edmonton
Sutton Place Edmonton
The hotel offers luxury and elegance right in the centre of Edmonton. The hotel oozes class and this is continued into the guest rooms, beautifully decorated ...see more
Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel By APA
The Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel is a classic hotel with excellent amenities and a great position in downtown Edmonton.
Rooms are bright and spacious, ...see more
Delta Hotels By Mariott Edmonton South Hotel & Conference Centre
The Delta hotels by Marriott Edmonton South Conference Centre is a smart hotel with a convenient location just off the highway in the south side of ...see more
Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites
The Delta hotels by Marriott Edmonton centre Suites is in a great location within the Edmonton City Centre shopping centre and close to the city’s ...see more
Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald is an elegant chateau-style hotel set in beautiful grounds overlooking the North Saskatchewan River.
Rooms are traditional ...see more
Fantasyland Hotel is a great fun hotel located in the vast West Edmonton Mall.
Choose from a stylish superior room, a spacious suite, or opt ...see more
Ramada Conference Centre Edmonton
The Ramada Hotel is a classic hotel with a good location in the north of the city, close to attractions and shopping, and just a five minute drive to ...see more
Sandman Hotel West Edmonton
Away from the busy city centre, The Sandman West Edmonton is a few minutes’ drive from popular shopping and a short trip into Edmonton’s ...see more
Sandman Signature Hotel & Suites Edmonton South
Conveniently situated between the International Airport and downtown Edmonton, The Sandman Signature is a stylish hotel with excellent amenities.
Accommodation ...see more
Edmonton and Jasper Short Break
Enter through the gateway to the rockies prior to travelling south to the beautiful mountain town of Jasper. Revel in the natural beauty of this town and ...see more
Top tips for visiting Edmonton
Top Tip 1
• Discover North America’s largest shopping centre. The West Edmonton Mall is North America’s largest shopping mall with a retail and entertainment space of over 5.3million square feet. With so many attractions all under one roof, it’s easy to see why it welcomes 32.2million visitors each year. As well as commercial shopping there is an indoor theme park, the world’s second largest indoor water park, an Ice Palace, cinema and nightclub, and much more. Visitors to this attraction will never be short of entertainment.
Top Tip 2
• Visit the Fantasy Hotel. This is one of the most popular accommodation attractions in Edmonton. Featuring themed rooms such as Hollywood Nights, Roman, Western, Arabian Nights and even a Canadian Rail theme, this is the most fun place to rest your head in Alberta.
Top Tip 3
• Visit the stunning Rockies. Edmonton is a great starting point for visiting the spectacular Canadian Rockies before heading off to discover the charming mountain towns of Banff and Jasper. Don’t miss the amazing Glacier Skywalk in Jasper National Park, where all that separates you from the surrounding scenery is a 918ft high glass walkway.
Top Tip 4
• Join in the celebrations. Also known as ‘The Festival City’, the bustling city of Edmonton is always celebrating something, be it food, music, film, theatre or heritage. In the summer wander around an outdoor festival like the Edmonton Fringe, which takes place each August.
Top Tip 5
• Visit Elk Island National Park. This beautiful National Park, just an hour outside Edmonton, protects the wilderness of the Aspen Parkland, which is one of the most endangered habitats in Canada. There’s something for everyone at Elk Island, with activities ranging from wildlife viewing and hiking, to cross-country skiing, picnicking and overnight camping.
Top Tip 6
• Discover Fort Edmonton Park. This is a great attraction for history buffs as it’s the largest living history museum in Canada. With both original and historical structures representing the history of Edmonton, Fort Edmonton Park offers visitors the opportunity to learn about the city’s interesting history.
Top Tip 7
• Enjoy the great outdoors. Edmonton receives a delightful 17 hours of daylight in the high summer, so if you’re visiting between June and August why not get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Visit one of Edmonton’s urban parks and hike, bike or blade along the 150km of trails, or tee-up on the local golf course.
If you’d like more information about booking your trip to Edmonton call one of our dedicated team who will help you plan the holiday of a lifetime!