Whistler is frequently voted as one of the best mountain resorts in the world. Whether you’re visiting in the winter months or during the dry, warm summer, there’s always something to do on holiday in this magnificent destination. A short drive from the coastal city of Vancouver, the two mountains of Whistler and Blackcomb offer over 8,100 acres of skiable terrain and some world-famous mountain biking routes. This is one of Canada’s most diverse destinations and truly has something for everyone, both on and off the mountain; skiing in Whistler is a holiday that you’ll never forget.
Known for being a world-class ski holiday resort, the mountains here offer more than 200 marked ski areas and snowboard trails, 16 alpine bowls and 3 beautiful glaciers to explore. Whatever your experience level there’s a piste for everyone and some amazing backcountry skiing for powder enthusiasts! Combine your passion for the snow with amazing on-mountain dining experiences, plus slope slide bars and après entertainment.
During the summer months, Whistler transforms into a gorgeous mountain biking and hiking resort with trails designed for every level. This is an ideal holiday for the outdoor enthusiast as it’s a real chance to appreciate the fresh air and see everything this amazing country has to offer. To experience stunning views of the natural landscape try the 4.4km Peak2Peak gondola ride between the peaks of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. This is the highest and longest lift in the world and will create a holiday memory that will last a lifetime.
As well as the natural wonder of this destination, it’s also a great place for spotting wildlife like the native black bears. The region’s urban landscape is specially designed to accommodate Canada’s natural environment, making this a perfect opportunity for seeing some of the country’s most popular wildlife, as well as the glaciers and vegetation of the natural world.
And the fun doesn’t stop on the mountain! The charming Whistler Village is pedestrianised which makes it so easy to walk around and discover the local restaurants and bars. For those who’d rather stay close to home, the village also has some great shopping opportunities.
With a variety of comfortable accommodations, bars and restaurants both on and off the mountain, plus some of the world’s most exciting summer and winter activities, a holiday to Whistler is a must on any Canadian bucket list.
Things to do
Popular things to do in Whistler
Jeep Mountain Top Salmon Bake
Experience the ultimate off-road adventure as a 4X4 vehicle takes you to new heights in comfort and style. Sit back and enjoy the ride as you journey 6,000 feet up Blackcomb Mountain to the Horstman Glacier and ending up at the Crystal Hut with the most spectacular patio in Whistler. Sing along with the live entertainment while aromas of cedar-planked, maple-glazed wild BC salmon fill the air.
Duration: 4 hours
Departures: Daily between Jun 13 - Sep 12 (Except Wed & Sun)
Mountain Explorer ATV Tour
Take a guided ride on an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) through the Hidden Valley between Whistler and the Blackcomb Mountains. Experience spectacular views of surrounding valleys, glacier peaks, forest canopy and the unique local wildlife. This tour is a perfect introduction to ATVs for first-time riders and a great mix of easy riding and spectacular scenery.
Duration: 2 hours
Departures: Daily between Jun 1 - Oct 31
*minimum age of 16 years to drive, minimum age of 6 years to ride as a passenger.
Whistler Bear Viewing tour
Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains support a population of up to 50 black bears plus many other wildlife including black-tailed deer, coyotes and a variety of birdlife. Travel in comfortable 4 x 4 vehicles that traverse the ski hills, walk to bear feeding sites, daybeds and where bears have hibernated during the winter. This tour gives a great insight into the habits of these wonderful creatures.
Duration: 3 hours
Departures: Daily between May 15 - Oct 15 (weather permitting)
*There is a minimum age requirement of 10 years.
Whistler Blackcomb’s PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola
Not to be missed is the 3-kilometre gondola linking Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. The Guinness World Record-breaking PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola provides an unparalleled perspective of British Columbia's rooftop providing incomparable views of the spectacular mountain and its stunning Valley.
Departures: Selected dates between May 25 - Oct 12
Zipline Adventure Bear Tour
Discover the mountain ecology that combines adventure and excitement with education. Ride on a series of cables and suspension bridges, and explore the hidden beauty of Fitzsimmons Creek and the picturesque forest valley between Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. Tours run regularly throughout the day, and in almost all weather conditions. This tour is perfect for families and those who have never zip lined before.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Browse our amazing range of holidays in Whistler
Delta Hotels By Marriott Whistler Village Suites
Enjoy the warmth and charm of this authentic alpine-style accommodation with the amenities of a full-service hotel. Ideally situated in the heart of Whistler ...see more
Crystal Lodge and Suites
The Crystal Lodge is ideally located in Whistler village, with a wide variety of hotel rooms, lofts and suites, shops, restaurants and amenities to suit ...see more
This modern hotel is located by the heart of Whistler Village. The guest-rooms are decorated in a contemporary style and are a comfortable place to relax. ...see more
Blackcomb Springs Suites
Located on the lower incline of Blackcomb Mountain, this spectacular lodge-style hotel is just a short drive from Whistler. Spacious and neutrally-decorated ...see more
Fairmont Chateau Whistler
Located right at the base of Blackcomb Mountain, close to Whistler Village, the luxurious Chateau Whistler fulfils your every desire.
Rooms and ...see more
A large, contemporary all-suite hotel, Evolution is located at the base of Whistler Mountain, in the friendly, laidback resort of Whistler Creekside.
Modern ...see more
First Tracks Lodge
First Tracks Lodge is a beautiful all-suite hotel in an excellent position at the base of Whistler Mountain.
Accommodation is warm and homely ...see more
Four Seasons Resort Whistler
The Four Seasons Resort is an elegant lodge hotel nestled at the base of Blackcomb Mountain.
The accommodation, from deluxe rooms to townhouses, ...see more
Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa
The Hilton Whistler is a stylish hotel with a great location right in the centre of the lively Whistler Village.
Rooms are generous in size, ...see more
Located in the laidback, leafy neighbourhood of Whistler Creekside, Legends is a stylish all-suite hotel with good amenities.
Boasting up to ...see more
Just a few minutes from the base of Blackcomb and Whistler mountains, in the heart of Whistler village, Listel Hotel is a lovely hotel in a great location.
Rooms ...see more
Nita Lake Lodge
Set on the banks of a crystal-clear glacial lake, this elegant all-suite hotel is just a five-minute shuttle ride from Whistler Village. Accommodation ...see more
Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside
Situated at the base of Whistler Mountain, this luxury all-suite hotel enjoys beautiful views and a great location close to the mountain gondolas and ...see more
Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre
The grand and imposing Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre is a luxury all-suite hotel in a fantastic location.
Suites have an ‘alpine-chic’ ...see more
Pinnacle Hotel Whistler Village
The Pinnacle is an all-suite boutique hotel in the Village North area of Whistler, close to excellent dining and shopping.
The lodge-style suites ...see more
Summit Lodge is a lovely quirky boutique hotel located on the ‘food street’ of Whistler North, while still a short stroll to the village ...see more
Westin Resort & Spa
The Resort is located at the bottom of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. The suites are stylish and spacious, decorated in natural tones, with many featuring ...see more
Whistler Cascade Lodge
Located in Whistler Village North, The Cascade Lodge enjoys a quieter location but is still just a short walk to the bustling village centre and mountains ...see more
Whistler Peak Lodge
The Holiday Inn is an all-suite hotel located in the heart of Whistler Village, close to great shopping and attractions.
Suites are bright and ...see more
Whistler Village Inn + Suites
The Whistler Village Inn & Suites is in a great location, in a quiet cul-de-sac right in the heart of Whistler Village.
The hotel has a good ...see more
Mountain Adventure Holiday
Located in the spectacular Coast Mountains just two hours north of Vancouver, Whistler is Canada's premier year-round destination. Whether you want to ...see more
Nestled in the stunning setting of the majestic Coastal Mountain range, just a 2-hour drive from Vancouver, is Whistler - North America’s largest ...see more
Ski Whistler (10 nights)
Enjoy a 10-night ski holiday in Whistler's world-famous resort and North America's largest ski resort. Whistler is in a spectacular location in British ...see more
Ski Whistler including Lift Passes
Nestled in the stunning setting of the majestic Coastal Mountain range a 2-hour drive from Vancouver, Whistler is North America's largest ski resort with ...see more
Top tips for visiting Whistler
Top Tip 1
• Whistler’s two majestic mountains offer epic winter activities to visitors with over 8,100 acres of skiable terrain, more than 200 marked trails and 37 lifts – the numbers speak for themselves. Whether you choose to while away your holiday on the slopes, dog sledding, heli-skiing or bungee jumping above the glacial-fed Cheakamus River, Whistler is a winter wonderland.
Top Tip 2
• One of Whistler’s most popular activities is the 4.4km Peak2Peak gondola ride between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains offering stunning 360-degree views of the natural landscape. If you are visiting on holiday in the warmer months, pack comfortable shoes and disembark to experience scenic walking trails, mountaintop restaurants, and four-legged ‘locals’ waiting for discovery. In the winter, use the gondola to ski both mountains easily in one day, whilst taking in the amazing scenery.
Top Tip 3
• Whistler's nightlife has been voted the best in North America. There are countless world-class restaurants in the resort to choose from and celebrity chef, Gordon Ramsay, named Araxi as the top dining experience in Canada which is located in the heart of the village. If you are having trouble deciding where to eat, embark on a Whistler Tasting Tour and visit multiple restaurants in one night. November is the time for real ‘foodies’ to visit Whistler as they can visit the huge food and wine event called Cornucopia and participate in hands-on seminars, attend gala tasting events and appreciate the best of Canada’s food and wine.
Top Tip 4
• Whistler and wildlife watching go hand in hand - black bears, bald eagles and marmots are just a few of the animals that call this area home. For a truly incredible outdoor learning experience, wander through alpine meadows with Whistler’s wildlife experts and visit bear dens and feeding sites whilst learning about their natural habitats from resident experts. Keep an eye out for bears around the golf course too – they love to come and feast on the lush green grass making for an amazing photo opportunity!
Top Tip 5
• Whistler is one of North America’s top mountain biking destinations and Whistler Bike Park is the continent’s largest, with over 1,500m of lift-serviced tracks for bikers of all abilities. Families can cruise through the gentle forest trails whilst more experienced riders enjoy an adrenalin-fuelled descent down steep rock faces. Throughout the summer, local experts offer lessons for all levels, so you can be a pro and tackle the tracks in no time.
Top Tip 6
• If you prefer less strenuous activities, pick a quiet spot at one of the region’s pristine lakes and fish for steelhead, salmon and trout. Local experts are available to plan personalised fishing trips including heli-fishing and floatplane tours which enable you to enjoy the best of Whistler’s wilderness in a truly unique way.
Top Tip 7
• Whistler is a destination renowned for golf and it is home to four award-winning courses which take advantage of the rugged mountainous landscape, making for challenging play. We recommend visiting the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club as it provides a fun mountain course for all levels which traverses creeks, ponds and has elevation changes of more than 400 ft, creating a naturally spectacular golfing experience. Be sure to keep an eye out for wildlife as you play too!
Top Tip 8
• Within walking distance of Whistler, you’ll find the tranquil Lost Lake which is the perfect retreat for those who want to take a break from the bustling village. Take some time out and relax on the park’s sandy beach, go swimming in pristine waters or simply sit and have a picnic. Alternatively, take a 30-minute drive to Callaghan Valley just south of Whistler to see Alexander Falls, an impressive 43 metre waterfall where you can sit back and listen to the sounds of the running water.
Top Tip 9
• For those who would rather stay close to the resort, the charming pedestrian-only village offers visitors more than 200 shops to choose from. Browse the fashionable boutiques along the Whistler Village Stroll before heading to Upper Village to shop for high-end skiwear and brands such as Roots Canada. This charming alpine area at the base of Blackcomb Mountain also hosts the Whistler Farmers Market on Sundays in the summer.
Top Tip 10
• After all these activities, relax in an oasis of calm at one of Whistler’s revitalising spas. If you want to remain outdoors, we suggest visiting the Scandinave Spa, Whistler’s 20,000 square ft. outdoor spa, just minutes from the village and overlooking the spectacular mountainous landscape. This incredible spa experience offers a mix of traditional Scandinavian hot and cold pools and saunas to dip in and out, to fully revitalise your body and mind.
If you’d like more information about booking your holiday to Whistler call one of our dedicated team of experts who will help you plan the trip of a lifetime!