Niagara Falls are a stunning and a romantic sight, and an experience that you will never forget. A visit to one of the world’s biggest waterfalls is surely on any traveller’s bucket list, as millions visit Niagara Falls during their holidays to Canada. The first time that you hear the roar of the water and see the sheer force as it crashes to the waters below, will remain with you forever. Be sure to take your camera with you, as you will want to capture your Niagara Falls holiday experience to treasure forever.
Just 1-hour and forty five minutes’ drive from Toronto airport, Niagara Falls in Ontario has consistently been ranked as one of the world’s most popular honeymoon holiday holiday destinations for over 200 years and Ontario’s most popular tourist attraction, and we can see why!
When to go to Niagara Falls
Holidays to Niagara Falls are popular all year round, but as with most parts of Canada the weather varies season to season, from beautifully hot and sunny in summer to a spectacular vision of ice and snow in winter. Highs in summer are around 25 degrees Celsius and lows in winter can get to around -1.
Holidays to and around Niagara Falls
With convenient flights to Toronto from the UK, you’re close to the splendour of one of Canada’s most significant natural landmarks. Also referred to as Horseshoe Falls, the Canadian part of Niagara Falls is in close proximity to many more popular attractions in Ontario province.
Built around this beautiful natural wonder is everything that a tourist could dream of for a complete package holiday to Niagara Falls in Canada. There are glamorous hotels with views of the Falls, elegant spas, casinos, nightclubs and an endless list of dining and nightlife options to choose from. For impressive views of the Falls lit up at night, take a trip up the Skylon Tower and enjoy dinner in the Tower as it revolves during your meal to unveil the glittering city, the Falls, and views over to Buffalo in the US. The Watermark restaurant at the top of the Hilton is the perfect choice for something a little more special, with incredible views, a romantic ambience and a beautiful menu.
Beyond the Falls
If time on your Niagara Falls holiday allows, be sure to venture to the charming town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario’s wine region. Pop into one of the many vineyards for a tour and to savour the local produce or wander around the charming Victorian style town with quaint boutiques and cafes. Make sure you taste the local delicacy, ice wine, created by crushing the grapes in their frozen state to create a distinctive sweet flavour – the perfect after dinner delight.
Things to do
How to see Niagara Falls
There are many different ways that you can experience Niagara Falls on your holiday to Canada, depending on just how close you want to get to them. You can take a Journey behind the Falls, where you are guaranteed to be splashed, so be sure to sport one of the fashionable ponchos on offer! You can view the Canadian Falls from a different angle on board the Voyage to the Falls – a VIP boat cruise where you can look up and take in the impressive height from your spot on deck.
If neither of these options are quite thrilling enough for you then there are also Whirlpool Jet Boat tours that you can enjoy a little further down the river in the rapids created by the hundreds of thousands of gallons of water that come crashing over the falls every minute.
What else can you do in the Niagara Falls area?
Visit the IMAX cinema and enjoy a Journey through Time with Niagara: Miracles, Myths & Magic. Here you will learn about the history of the Falls, how they formed, the legend of the Indian girl named the Maid of the Mist whose spirit is still said to linger at the Falls, and the history of the daredevils who have competed to travel over the Falls. All this with the enhanced experience of the IMAX theatre special effects.
Discover more activities and attractions in the area in this guide to the top things to do at Niagara Falls.
If you are choosing to stay in Niagara Falls for the full duration of your stay, a day trip to the vibrant city of Toronto is a must. You will love the contrast between the countryside and the city as you soak in the hustle and bustle. Be sure to add in top city sightseeing stops such as the CN Tower, the Hockey Hall of Fame and some top museums.
Toronto is the closest Canadian city to Niagara Falls and is your best option when looking for flights to Niagara Falls. You can fly direct to Toronto from the UK and then take a bus, taxi or hire a car to travel the 1 hour 45 minutes to the Falls.
Popular things to do in Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Helicopter Flight
Fly high above Niagara for unmatched, breath-taking views of Niagara Falls and the surrounding region. You’ll be able to take in the massive scale of the waterfalls and magnificent scenery as you glide over the water in a sightseeing helicopter, looking down at the Whirlpool Rapids and Skylon Tower. a perspective you can't get from ground level.
Duration: 9 minutes flight
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25) *Weather permitting
Deluxe Niagara Winery Tour D (6 Hours)
Enjoy a full day through the lush Niagara Peninsula on a delightful wine tour. You will visit two renowned Niagara wineries and enjoy wine tasting as well as a tour of each winery. The tour includes lunch at a charming eatery on the beautiful Niagara parkway and allows free time to explore historic Niagara-on-the-Lake and the captivating 19th-century town.
Duration: 6 Hours
Departures: Daily (Except May 23, Jul 1, Sep 5, Oct 10, Dec 25, 26, Jan 1, Mar 30, Apr 14)
Journey Behind The Falls
Go far below the rim of the gorge and behind the Falls as you experience the awesome sights and thundering sounds of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. Journey deep within to touch the heart of Niagara. Before you, the mighty river explodes after free falling more than thirteen stories. A once-in-a-lifetime experience on your Niagara Falls holiday!
Departures: Daily (Except Dec 25)
Niagara Falls Adventure Pass
This pass offers you admission to the most popular attractions in Niagara Falls during your trip to Canada. Attractions included in the pass are: Horn Blower Niagara Cruise, Voyage to the Falls, White Water Walk, Journey Behind the Falls and Niagara's Fury. Also included are discount coupons to more attractions in Niagara Parks.
Departures: Daily between Apr 01 to Oct 31.
Voyage to the Falls – VIP Boat Cruise
This thrilling experience takes you on a journey to get up close to the Horseshoe Falls, as well as the Great Gorge, America Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. This legendary cruise gives you 360 degree unobstructed views of the Falls from the tiered decks, with a choice of sitting inside from the dry viewing area, or up on deck where you are sure to get wet!
Duration: 15 minutes cruise
Departures: Daily between Apr 01 - Nov 30.
Browse our amazing range of holidays in Niagara Falls
Crowne Plaza Fallsview
Just steps from the Falls, the Crowne Plaza is in a great location and has some excellent amenities.
Rooms and suites are classically furnished, ...see more
Sheraton Fallsview Hotel
The Sheraton on the Falls is the largest of all of the hotels around Niagara and the views are simply breathtaking.
The guest rooms are luxurious ...see more
Marriott on the Falls
One of the closest hotels to the Falls themselves, The Marriott Gateway on the Falls enjoys spectacular views and fantastic hotel amenities.
The ...see more
Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
In the enviable position of being the closest hotel to the Niagara Falls themselves, the Marriott Fallsview is a fantastic place to choose for your ...see more
The Skyline Inn is an excellent value hotel right in the heart of Niagara Falls.
With a great selection of comfortable large rooms, from standard ...see more
Americana Waterpark Resort & Spa
The Americana Resort and Spa is a good hotel with excellent amenities away from the bustle of Niagara but still just a short drive into the city.
There ...see more
Best Western Fallsview
The Best Western Fallsview is a good hotel with a great location in the heart of bustling Fallsview and just a few minutes’ walk from the falls ...see more
Best Western Plus Cairn Croft Hotel
The Best Western Plus Cairn Croft is a European-style hotel with a pretty inner courtyard and just a five minute drive to the falls.
There are ...see more
Clifton Victoria Inn at the Falls
The Clifton Victoria Inn is in a good location just a short walk from the Falls and from the Clifton Hill tourist district.
Accommodation ranges ...see more
Great Wolf Lodge
The Great Wolf Lodge is a great themed hotel with fantastic facilities including a large indoor waterpark.
Suites are bright and spacious, with ...see more
Hilton Niagara Falls Fallsview Hotel & Suites
In the heart of the Fallsview area and with spectacular views over the Falls themselves, The Hilton Niagara is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location.
From ...see more
Motel 6 Niagara Falls
Motel 6 is a good unfussy hotel with a convenient location close to the attractions and shopping and of course the Falls themselves.
Rooms are ...see more
Oakes Hotel Overlooking The Falls
The Oakes Hotel is a great hotel with good amenities, and is one of the only mid-range hotels with direct views of the stunning Horseshoe Falls.
Rooms ...see more
Radisson Hotel & Suites Fallsview
The Radisson Hotel & Suites Fallsview is a large and contemporary hotel with an excellent position overlooking the Horseshoe Falls.
Rooms ...see more
The Falls Hotel and Inn
The Days Inn Clifton Hill is a good hotel in a great location close to shopping and attractions and just a five minute walk to the thundering falls ...see more
Top tips for visiting Niagara Falls
1. See it from both sides
• An attraction so huge, it is no surprise that Niagara Falls crosses two nations. From America, the best panoramic views of the Falls are from the Prospect Point Park Observation Tower. Stand at the top of this 86m tower of glass and steel and look out over the raging whitewater below as falcons and bald eagles fly above.
2. Get close to the action
• If you want to view the Falls up close, travel on the new Hornblower boat and feel the powerful spray on your face as you listen to the thundering roar of 600,000 gallons of water. Alternatively, combine adventure and spectacular views in a helicopter tour which travels through rainbows over Queen Victoria Park and the American and Horseshoe Falls, offering unbeatable photograph opportunities.
3. Find a bird's-eye view
• For a bird's-eye view, dine as the sun is setting at the top of the Skylon Tower. At 775 feet above the Falls, visitors can savour award-winning continental cuisine at the world-famous Revolving Dining Room Restaurant whilst the Summit Suite Buffet Dining Room offers a more affordable option for families. Be sure to leave some time before dinner to experience the exterior glass-enclosed “Yellow Bug Elevators” and glide smoothly to the top of the Tower in just 52 seconds!
4. Explore the town
• Although the Falls are a natural spectacle, the surrounding area boasts a variety of urban amenities. Casinos, trendy bars and boutique shops are plentiful, particularly in Clifton Hill which hosts the popular “Street of Fun”. Ride a giant wheel 175 feet above Niagara Falls and children can try their hand at mini-golf amidst life-size dinosaurs.
5. Try a helicopter tour
• If you want to see the Falls from a different point of view, take a ride on a helicopter and enjoy viewing the spectacular sight in all its glory. Unveiling the surrounding area and city below, from above you can really get a feel of the magnitude of the Falls.
6. Visit Niagara-on-the-Lake
• If you travel slightly further north of the Falls, you will come to Niagara-on-the-Lake. This beautiful 19th Century town offers a quiet retreat with decadent spas, boutiques and exquisite fine-dining. If you are travelling between April – November, be sure to visit the Shaw Festival, a series of theatrical productions featuring the works of George Bernard Shaw. Home to several wineries, learning, pairing and tasting the local wine with food is a must. Be sure to taste the local delicacy, Ice Wine, which is created by squeezing the grape in its frozen state producing delicious sweet nectar that is the perfect accompaniment with dessert.
7. Dine at Niagara
• Where there is wine, there is food. Whether you enjoy Asian, Indian or simply want to sample contemporary American and Canadian cuisine, Niagara Falls caters to everyone’s tastes. Once you’ve dined at the Skylon Tower, be sure to step into the deep, exotic Rainforest Café where animatronic gorillas, elephants and sharks await you!
8. Try a jet boat tour
• For thrill seekers, an incredible way to experience the Falls and the Niagara area is by Whirlpool Jet Boat on the Niagara River. The river collects all of the water from the Great Lakes which amount to about 20% of the world’s fresh water – so you can imagine the wild experience you will encounter with nature as you ride the waves.
If you’d like more information about booking your holiday to Niagara Falls call one of our dedicated team of experts who will help you plan the trip of a lifetime!