What travel documentation do I need to travel? / Do I need a Visa?

It is the responsibility of the passenger to ensure they have the correct travel documentation prior to departure. Canadian Affair will not transfer flights or offer refunds to passengers who fail to have the correct documentation.

British Nationals travelling to Canada require a full 10 year passport. If you need to obtain a passport you should apply well in advance of your trip.

Visas requirements

British Citizens, British Overseas Citizens (who are re-admissible to the UK), British Subjects and British Dependant Territories Citizens DO NOT require a visa to visit Canada. If you are unsure of your status, please look on the personal data page of your passport and it will be noted under 'Nationality'.

Please note that British Overseas Citizens who are subject to control under the (UK) Immigration Act, 1971 still require a Canadian visa for travel to Canada.

To find out if you require a visa, check here.

If you do not require a visa, then you will require an eTA (electronic travel authorisation) to enter Canada.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

Certain visitors flying into Canada now require an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA).

If you do not normally require a visa to enter Canada (e.g. British Citizens), you will need to get an eTA. Find out if you require an eTA here. Some exemptions will apply e.g. US citizens and visitors with a valid Visa.

What is an eTA?

eTA is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. It will allow Canada to screen travellers before they arrive. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Therefore, you must travel with the passport that you applied for your eTA with. You can enter Canada as many times within the validity of the eTA for this one fee.

• Visitors simply apply online in a process that takes just a few minutes. All you need is your passport, a credit card, access to the internet and an email address.

• In most cases, the eTA will be granted within minutes of applying.

• The cost to apply for an eTA is $7 (CAD) per person which is paid at the time of application.

Applying for an eTA in advance of travelling to Canada is the sole responsibility of the passenger, and Canadian Affair cannot apply for this on behalf of any passengers. Passengers wishing to fly must have applied and been granted their eTA before they board their flight.

You can find more information including a short video here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-facts-en.asp

We look forward to helping you on your way to Canada!


Air Transat

Flight Deals

Fly from £337pp return

calgary flight deals


From £26pp per night

Car Hire

From £36 per day

Our website uses cookies to enhance your user experience, by clicking ‘accept’ you agree to our use of these. To find out more, please read our Cookie Policy.